The power of nothing

For the intended experience, please click here to listen to Sally Whitwell’s 2011 recording of Phillip Glass's Opening while reading.

In recent months, I’ve discovered an ailment that I did not know I was suffering from: overstimulation. In the eighteen years that I have been alive, I have never valued idleness. Idleness, not in the sense if relaxing on the couch browsing Reddit or watching a movie, rather idleness in the sense of truly doing nothing.  Although I am usually wasting my time on unproductive things, I always have something to interact with. This constantly mentally active state has been a theme that I have observed among my friends and family. Here is my question to mull over as you read this post. How long has it been since you’ve intentionally done nothing for more than a couple of minutes?
After first feeling this constriction, I decided to experiment with idleness. As it happened, this feeling first occurred during winter finals, so winter break was only a couple days away. I was completely honest with myself, and I decided that I probably wasn’t going to be able to handle silence during my idle sessions, and so, for the increased chance of me carrying out the experiment, I allowed myself music without intelligible words. This happened to be the best possible timing for this whole process because my brother was also visiting home from college for the holidays. As I discovered, he has recently formulated and enrolled in his own form of modern hippieism. This hippieism, as I found out driving home from the airport with him, was based strongly around sitting, doing absolutely nothing, and listening to Psychedelic Rock (thankfully without the recommended “mind-opening” dosage of LSD). Although I don’t exactly consider Psychedelic Rock to be a favorite genre of mine, I love listening to music that is entirely new to me. Since I had already been accepted into college, I had quite literally nothing productive to do with my life, so I decided that an hour a day would be a reasonable amount of idle time. With my plan well flushed out, I embarked on my journey.
It was not easy to keep up my schedule. Per how my life has been organized, there was always something to be doing. Often, we ended up doing these sessions late at night after everybody else, except for my brother and I, was asleep. Also, it was honestly just hard for me to sit still and not do anything for a while hour. The music was the only way I stood a chance of lasting an hour, and I have kept that part of this experiment through till this day. After a week of idle sessions, and based on a sample size of one, this experiment honestly worked. Everything felt more relaxed. Most notably, I didn’t feel sore after practicing the violin anymore. That was something that I had struggled with in a heightened degree during the fall college audition session. I kept up the hour session schedule until the end of winter break, but then for some odd reason, I had to go back to high school for one final semester. The first day back to school, my schedule fell apart.
I had time in the day to have hour-long sessions, but I completely lost motivation. I relapsed into my old ways for a week. The pain came back after practicing, I stopped sleeping well, and, looking back on it, I felt terrible compared to my winter break self. After the first week, I reformulated the structure of the sessions. Here is where the music I linked at the top ties into this narrative. I have been exploring the 20th-century compositional style of minimalism in depth over the past couple years, and I realized that this would be a perfect place to use my knowledge of it. I decided that half an hour of idleness while listening to minimalistic music should be somewhat equivalent to an hour of more stimulating music. Minimalistic music is based around the incredible textures that can be created from simple repetition and so it does not demand the same mentally involved state that stimulating music does. Since that day, I have kept up my schedule, and the benefits have returned. There is an unbelievable amount of minimalistic music to listen to. I started with what I knew; the composer Phillip Glass. He is widely viewed as one of the forefathers of American minimalistic music. The piece that I linked is from his chamber music work called Glassworks. It is a great introduction to this style of music, as it is his successful attempt in creating a work for audiences who were unfamiliar with his style of minimalism. The studio album, which was released in 1982, can be found here. I enjoy this recording, but as a standalone piece, without the other five movements, I love Sally Whitwell’s 2011 recording of Opening. The piece is based around the premise of triplets in the piano's right hand while simultaneous eighth notes occur in the left hand. If you listen to the piece for the texture rather then the notes, I promise you will not be bored.
In the future, I am afraid that my personal dystopia will become a reality for youth across the world. Parents see planned stimulation as something that is essential for the development of the child. Although this is true, I only think it is helpful to a certain extent. I remember the days where I was left to my own devices. My brother and I would pretend to be stranded in the woods behind our house and we would have to create shelter, find food, and grind plants into a paste for medicine. Allowing the mind to do whatever it wants with the resources that it has is rather than forcing a constant stream of activities upon it is the part that I love and remember about my childhood. Everything changes with age. In my teenage years, overstimulation directly caused stress that I could have easily avoided. For me, thirty minutes a day of idleness provides the same relaxing qualities that four hours of an imaginary world did when I was younger. I wish I could still gain the same joy from pretending to be a medicine man in a secret ranger outpost but instead, I’ll have to wage war on stimulation in my new and more adult fashion.

Dante Freund

Comments

  1. I love how, just as in your non-fiction blogs, you link music to the post. I found it incredibly interesting that you tie this with Utopias/Dystopias so subtly, but it worked so well. You created a sort of personal Utopia, and I applaud you. I also enjoy how you kind of take us through your winter break to explain what brought you to where you are now, and then you parallel that with you and your brother playing in the woods; both of those situations show your reader what you want to accomplish with your idleness. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting experiment. Also really cool that it worked. I was surprised how many aspects of your life you can actually improve with that idleness. I agree that there is way too little time today to just be idle and do nothing. While teenage years are an incredibly important time for brain development and making habits for yourself, most people have so much to do that they rarely have time to think about the habits they're developing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great read, and it totally ties into the ideas of busywork and constant motion that Brave New World uses to control its population. I agree completely with your conclusions. There's a reason people do yoga, meditate, and practice mindfulness: they let your brain go static for a while, which we so rarely get. I liked this post because 1) the soundtrack helped me get into the zone, 2) I have really similar memories of my childhood that I related a lot to, and 3) we have really similar narrative voices, so I thought I was reading my subconscious thoughts. Really awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed and related to this post a lot. It also made me wonder how Aldous Huxley would view our current society's overstimulation. On one hand, it would probably seem like a BNW-adjacent dystopia to him: the people in BNW are almost never alone or quiet, they're always expected to be doing some sort of activity. On the other hand, our society's sources of entertainment and stimulation have become steadily more and more individualized and isolated, which is pretty much the polar opposite of BNW. These days, people worry about teens being too isolated and depressed. Our world would be a dystopia to the people in BNW, too. A utopia, I guess, would be couched between those two extremes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that this piece was very unique and compelling; reading about your experiences was elevated not only by the accompanying music, but the aesthetic of the blog itself. The bright white text against a minimalist black backdrop was simple but effective - mirroring your own experiences with idleness. I don't know if others experienced this as well, but personally the paragraphs of white on black text also had a hypnotic quality, and when paired with the music, it put me into a trance-like state that thematically matched your writing. The experiment also sounds like a fascinating activity to try out myself, even if I doubt I would be dedicated enough to maintain a consistent schedule of idleness. Listening to music while looking out of the window of a moving vehicle has always been very relaxing to me, and I'm curious how less stimulating music/environments would change the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that we often don't take much time to just be idle. When I'm feeling unproductive, I'll sometimes watch youtube or talk to a friend, but I rarely ever make time to just be idle. I enjoyed hearing about your experiment and I find it very interesting. It made me reflect and realize that some of the moments I have felt most serene are when I'm simply sitting in a park or by a lake and just soaking in the surrounding nature. Your post has made me consider adopting a variation of your experiment during the summer and making time for idleness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading this post! I would say that I have been thinking about the point you brought up in the last paragraph in the past few months, just remembering what I did when I was growing up to pass the time, versus a lot of kids now who, more and more, never have a dull moment. Also, props to you for being able to do nothing for half an hour except listen to music. I have recently discovered that I am so over-stimulated or something that I can't simply listen to music without getting bored, I have to be doing something else at the same time. Maybe I could benefit from some "doing-nothing time".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dante, this is great. I absolutely loved reading this and listening to the piece. Its true, my favorite childhood memories involve me and my siblings being bored as heck and then using whatever was around us to end up having an amazingly fun and imaginative experience. Even if it was a simple game of tag, we'd come up with different rules to spice it up, and we'd modify our old games to create new ones. Sometimes me and Ayah would literally just take out pots and pans from the kitchen and use various utensils to create our own music for an hour, and we'd come up with pretty cool stuff (at least for a ten year old). The music industry today is very overstimulating, and it was really interesting to just sit back, read your post, and listen to Philip Glass. I'm happy I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried a few times to have a few minutes pure idleness. Interestingly, it started when i watched a video explaining the differences between and man and woman's brain, and it said that a man has a "nothing box" that he goes to sometimes where he can sit and think of nothing, while a woman simply does not have that. In my opinion, I don't think anybody has a pure nothing box. (We even keep thinking in our sleep, hence, dreams.) So I started trying to find my nothing box and now I just sit and try to think of nothing when I am bored. Haven't done it in a while though, so this post was timely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great post! And the music too.

    In recent years, I have become a staunch supporter of idleness. Or at least, not forcing productivity. I find a big part of my personal philosophy to be just going along with the flow of life around me, and deal with things as they arise. As such, that leaves time in-between for me to be idle, and appreciate the movement and pacing of life. For me, idleness is not exactly doing nothing at all, or being unconscious in some related sense. Consciousness and awareness is essential to my conception and exercise of idleness. It's kind of an exploratory time for me to be alone with myself. I often find myself idle in this sense when I read, pausing my reading, lifting my head, and just contemplating a feeling or thought. I usually have music on when I drive, which stimulates me through the routines of the road. However, at times, I will consciously turn off the music, and be alone in the quiet with my thoughts. I also thinking going on walks is a good way for me to pursue this kind of idleness, though I'm not sure this is your idleness.

    I do admit, much time that I could spend being idle in that productive and valuable sense is wasted on drivel that occupies my time. Part of it is the easy access to my electronics. I should invest in a flip phone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Post Dante! I completely agree that a lot of kids right now are over stimulated and would definitely benefit from something similar to your planned idleness. I myself probably also do not spend enough time doing nothing and I will think on this subject in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so good Dante! It's so cool that you're aware of some of the things that cause you stress in your daily life, and that you've found ways to relax. I definitely agree that as kids and especially as high school students we're expected to do everything, to constantly be busy - it's so stressful and detrimental to our health in my opinion. I think it's so cool that one of the things you've found is the way that just sitting listening to music can help. That's something that I have found as well. I'm so used to music just being background music, while I'm studying or hanging out, but I've found so much value in just sitting and listening to the music itself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting post Dante!
    I do agree that most kids, especially teenagers are overstimulated and don't have a moment of idleness during the day. It's cool to see that your winter break experiments actually improved how you functioned in your day to day life. I wish I had the patience to do something like that but I feel like I would get bored because I'm not used to keeping my mind in a non-active state. However, I do feel the need to be alone for a good portion of the day to relax as it allows me to collect myself and provide some of the relaxation that can be achieved through idleness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I also think that spending time just listening to music, reading, or doing some other low intensity, not very stimulating activity. I like to set aside time right before I go to bed to do something that is relaxing in that way, and I agree that it makes everything better. I also really liked your observations about your childhood. Allowing myself to be creative and imaginitive in that way is not really something that I have time for anymore, or is really encouraged in people who aren't children, but it's a very rewarding experience that I think more people should participate in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Cocoa: I really enjoyed how this post tied into your Nonfiction blog. I like the Glass piece very much, and found it relaxing to listen to while I read your post.

    The perspectives and experiences you share here are very valuable. I agree that our world has gotten much too overscheduled and overstimulating. This is one reason I value reading poetry, and writing it as well. To read a poem well, you need to create a quiet space. You can't rush. You need time to contemplate and digest. And writing poetry requires even more time spent in quiet reflection. One of my poetry teachers, David Wojahn, said to us in class ,"The most important reason to write poetry is in order to insist on the validity of having a private life." I think reading poetry creates a similar insistence. And listening to music as an activity in itself can be the same. Perhaps you'll have to write a bestselling book about your experience with less pain and better sleep through idleness. It may help some of us to see the light.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recognized a lot of truth in the feelings of over stimulation that you described because I too have wondered about the amount of stimulation that I subject myself too. I'll find my self fetching my earbuds and phone so that I can listen to a podcast or watch a video while I brush my teeth, denying myself even that little bit of semi-idleness. When I was younger, I never did anything like that and spent much more time idle, and I think I was happier for it. I definitely agree that this world of constant stimulation and a future of even more stimulation can be a type of dystopia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post Dante Christopher Fruend! It's nice that you are cognizant of your own mini addiction to stimulation. For many people, i think this might manifest in playing low-quality 100-pixel games whenever they have free time. That's definitely not the case for you, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts